Installing F7 by CD and not by DVD

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Sun Jun 3 18:50:50 UTC 2007

Antonio Olivares wrote:

> Who cares what Ubuntu, et.all provides.

Apparently people do in comparisons that I see in this list.

  Fedora had an
> edge before (despite that people will complain, I'm
> with you Ric in this one), it allowed users to install
> applications that they will surely miss/or cannot fit
> on a CD.  These same folks are on dialup and do not
> have a fast internet connection.  With the yum presto
> plugin, maybe that changes, but still fedora had a big
> advantage to pick and choose the software with the
> multiple cd's and dvd's.

I strongly believe that yum-presto and enabling live upgrades to be done
better is much more easier than trying to add more variations into the
pile of regular and live cd/dvd's. There is also a plan to evaluate
integrating jidgo into the release process.

> One of advantages of the LiveCD is to test the
> hardware before you install, but it only has a limited
> amount of software.  Should Fedora Board stick to
> their guns, why not make a LiveDVD with as much
> software as possible.  And if possible, also make a
> special spin of cd isos as they had before.  This will
> keep users happy and quickly forget the bad episodes.

This is primarily a release engineering decision. You have to take into
consideration that mirrors won't be happy with more and more software to
duplicated across variants and a torrent only release won't satisfy
everyone since torrent is not allowed by misinformed ISP's or complaints
about downloads speeds with not enough seeds in some instances.

At any rate more variants by default just won't scale at all. It causes
mass confusion for rel eng, QA, documentation and importantly end users.

Rahul