Installing F7 by CD and not by DVD

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 3 19:53:34 UTC 2007

--- Rahul Sundaram <sundaram at fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> Timothy Murphy wrote:
> > Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> >
> >> There are several choices here:
> >>
> >> Use the Live CD images
> >>
> >> Use the boot.iso/rescue.iso and do a network
> installation from
> >> http/ftp/nfs
> >>
> >> Use boot.iso/rescue.iso, put the DVD image in the
> hard disk in one
> >> partition and install it another partition.
> >
> > There are several choices, I agree.
> > (I am using one of them.)
> > But this does not alter the fact that
> > the decision to drop the CD installation set
> > was completely incomprehensible, to me at least.
> >
> > You might as well put up a banner reading,
> > "Don't install Fedora if you are a home user.
> > Try Ubuntu instead."
> >
> > Surely the aim should be to make it as easy as
> possible
> > for as many people as possible to install Fedora.
> > It is not meant to be an obstacle race.
>
> Except the fact that Ubuntu has been doing something
> similar all along.
> They provide only Live CD's and do not promote
> regular installations at
> all. Next time you do a comparison you got to check
> whether the other
> side is actually any different.
>
> Rahul
>
> --

Rahul,

  Also keep in mind that Fedora should not be
competing with Ubuntu.  If that were the case then you
would have to do much more work

Ubuntu <-> Regular Fedora
Kubuntu <-> Fedora with KDE
Xbuntu <-> Fedora with XFCE
Edubuntu <-> Fedora with Educational Software
Ubuntu Christian Edition <-> Fedora For Christians
Fluxbuntu <-> Fedora with Fluxbox window manager
..., et all Ubuntu Universe.

There are too many choices for *buntu, so why do you
want to compete.  People are here because they like
Fedora and why is everyone getting mad at someone else
because they prefer cd images, ie. traditional cd
images, disk 1, disk 2, disk 3, disk 4, ..., to what
is currently being offered.  Timothy is correct when
he says this

 "It is not meant to be an obstacle race."

If it were, look at how many distributions Fedora
would have to make just to catch up.

Fedora will always have its advantages and its
disadvantages versus any linux distribution.  The goal
here should not be to condemn/humiliate users when
they want something.  Also users should not blackmail
Fedora or threathen to change distributions.  This is
also not cool.  Like some other people on this list
have already mentioned, silently leave the premises
and no hard feelings will be kept.

Regards,

Antonio