I need a self evolving machine

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Mon Jun 4 05:28:16 UTC 2007

Peter Connolly wrote:
>> I think I would begin to suspect I was hearing generic FUD and not
>> "abuse"...
>
> I agree.  Although my confidence had been shaken by a particularly
> nasty upgrade from RH7 to RH8...  Ouch!
>
> So, after a thorough backup, I'll be trying out a FC5 --> F7 'yum'
> upgrade...  Wish me luck!

Well, good luck... apparently Anaconda has special meta-knowledge about
some packages that is not present in the packages themselves though, for
example when Firefox came out IIRC it privately knew to install firefox
off its own back if you previously had mozilla.  So for that reason,
despite it is using the same set of packages, a yum upgrade is not quite
the same as a DVD upgrade which uses Anaconda.  But of course you could
do the same with yum afterwards yourself in that case.

-Andy