Installing F7 by CD and not by DVD

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Mon Jun 4 13:52:49 UTC 2007

David Boles wrote:

>> Not around here.  Repeated assertions, on this list, that DVD drives are
>> not that expensive smacks of "let them eat cake."
>

> Really? They cost more than that where you are? How much more? I am
> talking
> about ordering  from The Internet, you order, you pay, you install (takes
> a screwdriver) and not from the local 'swindle shop' down the street.

But surely one should not HAVE to buy extra hardware
in order to INSTALL a program ...
I can understand one might have to get something to RUN a program.

I find this whole CD business completely baffling.
(It does not affect me personally, as I install by NFS,
so I think I have an objective view.)
If in fact very few people want installation CDs, as claimed,
then one repository would have sufficed -
it wouldn't be necessary to circulate them round the world.

Of course, if the claim is nonsense and actually many people
wanted the CDs, then that does not hold.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366