Fedora 7 live CD on ThinkPad 600X fails

Sjoerd Mullender sjoerd at acm.org
Mon Jun 4 20:14:18 UTC 2007

I'm having difficulty with trying out the Fedora 7 Live CD on my old IBM
ThinkPad 600X.  When I boot from the CD, I quickly get the messages:

pci 0000:00:01.0: Error creating sysfs bridge symlink, continuing
pci 0000:00:02.0: Error creating sysfs bridge symlink, continuing
pci 0000:00:02.1: Error creating sysfs bridge symlink, continuing

then a short pause and then the message

cpufreq: change failed with new_state 1 and result

then a longer pause (about 1 minute) and then the message:

--------------------------------------
WARNING: Cannot find root file system!
--------------------------------------

Create symlink /dev/root and then exit this shell to continue
the boot sequence.

and then a bash prompt.

I can get rid of the first messages by adding the option pci=noacpi to
the boot command line, but the real problem is that the CD drive doesn't
seem to get recognized.  I know the drive works: I can boot off of it,
and in Fedora Core 6 (which I have currently running on the system, with
acpi=noirq), it works fine.

Does anyone have an idea of what I can try next to get the Live CD to work?

Although what I really want to know is whether the system can run under
F7 (that's why I'm trying out the Live CD).

Since I only have an extremely limited environment with the interactive
shell, I can't record any data from the F7 kernel.

--
Sjoerd Mullender