binding IPs

LC listfedora at gmail.com
Tue Jun 5 06:44:29 UTC 2007

> On Monday 2007-06-04 21:02:46 LC wrote:
>> Hi List,
>>
>> How do you bind an external IP and an internal IP to a fedora box? Is it
>> possible?
>>

> what exactly do you need? 2 IPs on one interface?
> If so, you can do this (at least that's what I do):
> # cd /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts
> # cp eth0 eth0:1
> edit eth0:1 to something like this:
> --- cut ---
> DEVICE=eth0:1
> ONBOOT=yes
> NETWORK=192.168.1.0
> IPADDR=192.168.1.1
> BROADCAST=192.168.1.255
> NETMASK=255.255.255.0
> NOZEROCONF=yes
> --- cut ---
> This is if eth0 is configured with static IP (can't have dhcp and ip
> aliases). After this
> # ./ifup-aliases eth0
> and that's it.
>
> If you want to make it a router/firewall it's better (more, it's a
> must) to have two network cards - one with real IP and one with local.

Thanks. This box is a samba machine. I want to allow local users and remote
users to access it. I have 2 NIC on this box. eth0 is on a public
IP(12.73.1.5) and eth1 is on the local IP(192.168.1.5). But how do i set the
gateway? Can i specify the public gateway for eth0(12.73.1.1) and the
gateway for eth1 (192.168.1.1) and as for the gateway in
/etc/sysconfig/network i will remove it. Will this work?

nb: above IPs are example. They are not my real IPs