Yum problem

Paul Erickson paule at sfu.ca
Tue Jun 5 13:41:13 UTC 2007

Tony Nelson wrote:
> At 7:05 PM +0930 6/5/07, Tim wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 2007-06-04 at 23:16 -0700, Paul Erickson wrote:
>>
>>> For some reason I am having trouble with yum on one of my FC6 boxes.
>>> It is an older, slower machine, but I don't have any trouble browsing
>>> the web on it, but yum is very very slow, and when I try to update or
>>> install on it, I keep getting error messages like the following.
>>>
>>> # yum update
>>> Setting up Update Process
>>> Setting up repositories
>>> Reading repository metadata in from local files
>>> Resolving Dependencies
>>> --> Populating transaction set with selected packages. Please wait.
>>> ---> Downloading header for cups to pack into transaction set.
>>> http://fedora.mirror.iweb.ca/core/updates/6/i386/cups-1.2.8-1.fc5.i386.rpm:
>>> [Errno 14] HTTP Error 404: Content-Type: text/html
>>>
>> You have tried several mirrors resturning 404 errors - those servers
>> didn't have the requested file, at the address the client requested it.
>> This happens from time to time, thanks to mirrors being out of sync (not
>> being ready).  Eventually yum should find one that's okay, but sometimes
>> you might have to try a few times, or wait a while for the mirrors to
>> finish sorting themselves out.
>>

> No, he has a problem with his upgrade from FC5 to FC6.  It's trying to get
> .fc5 packages from an FC6 updates repo.  There should not be any such
> packages in updates.

How do I fix this? I tried doing a clean install with FC6, but it kept
having trouble
with the video card. I even tried a text install, and then did a yum
update, and still
could not get it to work. The machine I am trying to upgrade is an HP
Vectra VL8
with a Matrox MGA G100 card.

Thanks for the replies.

cheers, Paul - VA7NT - email: va7nt at telus.net

"Those who hear not the music, think the dancers mad."

“Tolerance becomes a crime when applied to evil.” - Thomas Mann

"That state which separates it's warriors from it's scholars will have it's thinking done by cowards and fighting done by fools" - Thucydides - The Pelopenisia

"The Malice of the wicked is reinforced by the weakness of the virtuous." - Churchill