Installing F7 by CD and not by DVD

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Tue Jun 5 18:34:02 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-06-05 at 15:07 +0930, Tim wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-06-04 at 16:10 -0700, Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wrote:
> > I'm surprised at how many people when faced with a problem to solve
> > spend more time justifying their inability to get the job done than to
> > figure out how to do it.
>
> I'm surprised at how many people, when see others faced with a problem
> that they don't care about, think that it's not really a problem.
>
> ... Let them eat cake.

I disagree Tim, there has been a ton of email over how to install using
the Dvd iso file or the Test Drive CD. The perception might be that once
it's been pointed out how to accomplish the install , folks are bucking
against a clean install and insist on upgrading and they want it to be
fairly painless. Of course if you never back up the good stuff, and are
wanting to trust an upgrade, it becomes problematic when it blows up.
Me, I don't TRUST an upgrade, and it becomes a pile of traffic on the
list trying to resolve shit that wouldn't have happened on a clean
install. Ergo, I assign the problem to one I don't care about. True
that. Guilty as charged.

The price of a Dvd burner, even if high in certain locales, is STILL far
cheaper than some tape backup drive and far more reliable. Good backups
are crucial to anyone running any sort of server or devel platform, so
adding a DVD burner is not just for installing with, it's part of good
system management with routine backups. That's the other side of the
coin in my consideration, good painless system management. You might get
lucky and have no upgrade problems. You might not.

Are you feeling lucky? <cackles> I rarely am! :) Ric