network monitoring

Nigel Henry cave.dnb at tiscali.fr
Tue Jun 5 21:25:39 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 05 June 2007 22:23, Dan McCullough wrote:
2nd reply
> One other thing, in the states if you as a company are actively
> monitoring/tracking email, im and internet usage and an employee does
> something illegal, you the company could be held liable as well so I
> would also make sure that you know all the laws concerning monitoring.

My reply

This makes for a real hornet's nest of problems then. If I understand you
correctly. You, and the company monitor your employees. If one of your
employees sends for example, a racist email, and you've seen it, and not
notified the authorities, you, and the company then become responsible also,
as it it were a partner in crime.

How does that go if you arn't monitoring your employees Internet activity? Are
you/the company still responsible legally for what your employees do on their
machines while at work?

Nigel.

1st reply