binding IPs

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Wed Jun 6 18:46:12 UTC 2007

LC wrote:

> Internet ---speedtouch modem
>                          |       |
>                          |       |_eth0 12.73.1.180___Nix Router eth1
> 192.168.1.1
>                          |                                            |
>                          | Switch--- Computers
>                          |                                            |
>                          |__eth0 12.73.1.185_____ Samba eth1 192.168.1.150
>

> This ADSL connection comes with 16 static IPs. One IP is assigned to the
> nix router. Another to the Samba. I do not want to do port forward to
> the samba machine as some service ports are being used on the nix
> router. By doing the above setup, i was hoping that the local users can
> access samba via LAN and remote users can ftp files to the samba machine
> via the public IP. And i can ssh to it to do maintenance when i am not
> in the office.

OK - with this setup, you are going to want the default route on the
Samba machine to go through eth0 using the same gateway as the Nix
Router uses, and not using 192.168.1.1 as the gateway. running
through the other way is going to cause problems. Yes, you can
access the Internet the way you have it now, but packets will come
in on eth0, and the reply will travel out eth1, and through the Nix
router instead of going back out eth0. Depending on how your router
is set up, they may not make it to the Internet. The router may eat
them. Also, with the router is doing NAT, the reply will look like
it came from 12.73.1.180 instead of 12.73.1.185, so it will may get
rejected by the firewall on the other end.

You may want to look at the logs on the nix router, and see how it
is handling your packets. Depending on the logging level, it is
probably dropping a lot of Samba trafic coming from the Samba
machine trying to get to the Internet.

Mikkel