Long boot delay probing hardware

Alan Cox alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk
Wed Jun 6 23:23:21 UTC 2007

> Oops... sorry.. it was just an assumption.  I guess I assumed wrong.  I
> hate to be stupid but... where do I start to look for resolution or who
> do I grab to help me out with this?

For the moment I'm just waiting. Tejun was looking at a similar case with
a CD drive which said "I'm a disk" when the reset occurred followed by
"I'm a CD" when asked. The same fixes may well sort out the tape drive
too.

(Basically a device has a 'signature' on reset that tells you what it is,
and then there is an identify command which gives more info. If the two
disagree as to the type of device then right now we get quite upset and
try resetting the device to make it talk sense. For the devices that
genuinely in firmware give confusing answers repeatedly resetting them
does not of course make them talk sense).