Anyone using the Fedora7 KDE-spin?

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Thu Jun 7 00:26:52 UTC 2007

Rahul Sundaram <sundaram <at> fedoraproject.org> writes:
> Would be nice to have desktop effects menu option if it isn't already there.

Short answer: That will come in KDE 4. :-)

Long answer:

The way the "desktop effects" feature is currently implemented in GNOME is that
the Metacity window manager is outright replaced by Compiz. However, Compiz has
some issues working with KDE, at least it did last this topic came up in the
KDE SIG meetings. The alternative would be Beryl, but several core Fedora
developers objected strongly to defaulting to Beryl in anything Fedora for
reasons I can't present in details (mostly stability and project management
issues).

In KDE 4, the KWin window manager will natively support compositing (already in
SVN), and AFAIK some more effects are in the works. So there will be no need to
have a special tool switching to a special window manager just to support
desktop effects anymore, instead they will be settable in KControl just as all
the existing effects (animation and fake transparency) already are.

And as the plan is to get KDE 4 into Fedora 8 anyway, I think working on Compiz
or Beryl under KDE is pretty much pointless now.

        Kevin Kofler