FC6 Nautilus CD/DVD creator problem

Andrew Kelly akelly at corisweb.org
Thu Jun 7 13:13:26 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-06-07 at 20:59 +0930, Tim wrote:
> Paul Erickson:
> >> I keep getting an "Insert a writable or blank disc" message
>
> Andrew Kelly:
> > I discovered that the 3 disks which I been trying to use had been, er...
> > grabbed from the wrong stack. They weren't blank.
> >
> > So, user error on my part.
> >
> > Although, to my defence I have to say that absolutely no helpful message
> > is returned. Something as simple as "disk not blank" would have saved me
> > a ton of stress and a wasted hour.
>
> *You* didn't get the message about inserting a *writable* or *blank*
> disc?  The inference is that the one in the drive *isn't*.

Yes, agreed. But that's the same message you get when you first fire
things up and/or the drive is empty. It doesn't change a whit when you
try to feed it non-blank disks and the assumption that us mortals make
is that the crap isn't working. In fact, I think I actually yelled "What
is this MS BS?"

Heck, I'd still be assuming that the Nautilus burner didn't survive the
trip to FC7 if I hadn't have swapped to a different bit of software and
gotten a useful hint.
Wait, let's be honest here. That message was crap too, but at least it
got me questioning things.

Sometimes it's like the last decade of administering *nix systems never
happened...
Turn 40 and the warranty runs out. Junk starts breaking.
[sigh]

Andy