Do you use SELinux

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Thu Jun 7 20:46:24 UTC 2007

On Thursday 07 June 2007, Matthew J. Roth wrote:
>There was recently an article about SELinux on Slashdot.  The comments
>contain some useful ideas, including enabling SELinux in permissive
>mode.  In permissive mode, security violations are logged but not
>enforced.  This allows you to configure SELinux for your system prior to
>setting it to enforcing mode, which is a good alternative to simply
>disabling it as soon as it causes a problem.
>
>Red Hat Boosts SELinux With RHEL 5
><http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/06/06/007218>
>
>Matthew Roth
>InterMedia Marketing Solutions
>Software Engineer and Systems Developer

Unforch, as huge numbers of us have found, "permissive" isn't.  I just had to
turn it off in the grub command line before the wifi in my lappy with a fresh
F7 install would allow the transmitter to make a peep.  "Permissive" is an
oxymoron the users don't need.  Will it get re-enabled here?  Maybe on the
third tuesday of the 7th week of august.  What remaining life I have (I'm 72
now) is far too valuable to me to spend it screwing with a broken framework
such as selinux seems to be.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)