Why I quit Fedora 7

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sat Jun 9 16:13:12 UTC 2007

On Saturday 09 June 2007, Eric wrote:
>At 11:21 AM 6/9/2007, Karl Larsen wrote:
> >    Fedora Core 4: use Desktop-System Settings-Printer
> >    Fedora 7: I could not find anyway to set up the printer.
>
>"kcmshell printers"?
>
>(or in KDE, Settings->Printers)
>
>I just tried it, connecting to a printer on a Windows XP machine on the
>network and it seems to work OK...

Or better yet if cups is the printer server, just take a look at
http://localhost:631.  Detection here was automatic and I've done nothing to
enable printing on that newly installed F7 lappy, it Just Works(TM).

> >> 2. Email:
>
>I haven't been using Thunderbird so I can't help you there, but KMail seems
>to work fine...
>
> >3. Web access:
> >
> >    Fedora Core 4: Firefox latest version works but has minor bugs.
> >    Fedora 7: Firefox is VERY slow to come up and it is quite odd.
>
>Firefox works fine here, and konqueror seems to work OK though I haven't
>been using it much since I started using Firefox...
>
> >4. Writing:
> >
> >    Fedora Core 4: Easy to get an editor and write
> >    Fedora 7: SAB.
>
>Not sure what "SAB" means but I have been using kedit and nedit and tried
>Open Office Writer a couple of times and they seem to work OK...

As does vim once yum has installed it. Except for khexedit once in a blue
moon, what else do you need?

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)