FC7 from FC6 - Grub non updated [MORE INFO]

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Sat Jun 9 22:35:52 UTC 2007

Jim Cornette wrote:

> Yum upgrades and anaconda installer work differently. The anaconda
> installer removes all but the one kernel. It would leave a newer kernel
> in place and not update grub if he kernel is newer than the version on
> the install medium.

I'm sure that's what's meant to happen.
But some of my upgraded machines have the old kernels intact -
here is part of /boot on one:
------------------------
vmlinuz
vmlinuz-2.6.16-1.2133_FC5
vmlinuz-2.6.17
vmlinuz-2.6.17-1.2139_FC5
vmlinuz-2.6.17-1.2157_FC5
vmlinuz-2.6.17-1.2174_FC5
vmlinuz-2.6.18
vmlinuz-2.6.18-1.2239.fc5
vmlinuz-2.6.18.2
vmlinuz-2.6.18.2.old
vmlinuz-2.6.18.3
vmlinuz-2.6.18.3.old
vmlinuz-2.6.18.old
vmlinuz-2.6.20-1.2944.fc6
vmlinuz-2.6.20-1.2948.fc6
vmlinuz-2.6.21-1.3194.fc7

Upgrading FC-6 to F-7 seems to be a rather mysterious process,
in my experience at least.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366