Wifi problems (FC 6)

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Sun Jun 10 10:06:01 UTC 2007

On Saturday 09 June 2007 23:30:26 Joe Barnett wrote:
> Anne Wilson wrote:

> >> Which is exactly what it did the last time I studied that startup script
> >> in /etc/init.d.  It runs ntpdate once to crash synch the clock, and then
> >> runs the ntpd.

> >> I agree, however retiring such a usefull tool might be desirable from
> >> the standpoint of being replaced by a better way, possibly built into
> >> ntpd, but I've not noted any discussion about it.  And I'm of course not
> >> on a mailing list that would make me privy to that either.  I would hope
> >> that they would make an attempt at advising the users that there was a
> >> change coming first.

> >> Which is what the current (fc6 anyway) startup script does.  Quite well
> >> in fact if the network is available at runtime.  In Anne's case, that
> >> can't be assumed.  Probably because its miss-configured in ways I'm not
> >> familiar with since I don't yet use wpa_supplicant, in fact its all done
> >> by the network script on my lappy.  The WEP key is actually listed in
> >> my /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-wlan0 using the KEY=syntax but I
> >> have NDI if the WAP(2) key Anne is using could be similarly defined
> >> there or not.
> >>
> >> It might be worth a try, Anne.
> >
> > ntpd was attempting to run before wpa_supplicant could join the network.
> > I'm torn between re-numbering it and removing it in favour of the two
> > commands in rc.local.  I think I'll take those commands out again, for a
> > trial, and see whether the re-numbering does the trick.
> >
> > Anne
>
> Given what Gene wrote about the startup files, and that you are
> using the stock ntpd, I would suggest just playing with the startup
> order in rc3 (rc5?), rather than mess with rc.local.

I tried that for the overnight shutdown.  It didn't work because there was
still a problem with the wifi connection.

> Not to sound completely ignorant, but is there a
> management/configuration interface which can be used to set up the
> wifi services?  I have just been calling scripts from rc.local in
> order to get wifi working.

There is - system-config-network, and it doesn't help at all.  It appears that
I either accept what network manager decrees - and that means dhcp, or do
without.  I'm fed up of struggling with this.

Anne