Feature Request "secure by default"

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sun Jun 10 15:54:28 UTC 2007

Simon Jolle:
>> Additionally if you install supplement software by using "yum", those
>> daemons get enabled right after installation.

Manuel Arostegui Ramirez:
> I guess if someone is installing a daemon by using yum, it means it really
> needs it, which leads us to suppose this user knows what he's doing and why,
> no one runs "yum install proftpd" by accident, uh?

It probably depends on the daemon.  I'm guessing whether it's one that
probably needs customisation before use, and those that don't.  I notice
that Apache doesn't run by default, even though it's installed.
Likewise with NFS, Samba, Squid.

--
(This box runs FC7, my others still run FC4, FC5, & FC6 in case that's
 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.