Problem with F7 on VMware, WinXP-SP2 host

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Mon Jun 11 15:13:30 UTC 2007

Eric wrote:

> I'm pretty sure this is a VMware problem (not a Fedora problem), but I
> have asked the question over on the VMware support forum and, as usual,
> gotten no response.  So, I'm hoping that those of you here who run
> Fedora on VMware on WinXP hosts may have run across this problem and
> found a solution.
>
> VMware product: Workstation version 6.00 build 45731
> Host: Windows XP SP2, Compaq/HP nw8240 laptop, 1 GB RAM
> Guest: Fedora 7, 256 MB RAM allocated
>
> Whenever I run VMware Workstation with Fedora 7, the host (WinXP-SP2)
> runs out of "buffer space" fairly soon (usually within a half hour to an
> hour).
>
> The symptoms are that Eudora (email) on Windows complains about "no
> buffer space" when trying to download mail. And, when I open up a DOS
> box and try to FTP to some remote site, the Windows FTP client complains
> about no buffer space.
>
> At this point Firefox web browser (under Windows) will silently fail to
> load any pages... I click on a link, the circular activity icon in the
> upper right corner will twirl around for a short while, then it will
> stop and the new web page will not be loaded.
>
> If I then shut down Fedora and VMware Workstation, the problem does not
> go away... Eudora and the Windows FTP client still complain about no
> buffer space, and Firefox web browser still won't load any new web pages.
>
> The only fix is to reboot my laptop, then everything returns to normal.
>
> I have tried installing and running RAMPage
> (http://www.jfitz.com/software/RAMpage/index.html) to free up Windows
> memory and that helps, but only serves to delay the issue rather than
> eliminate it.
>
> This is very annoying and a show-stopper for using VMware and F7 for any
> serious purpose.  Since about 90 percent of my F7 use is on my laptop
> with VMware, this seriously impacts my ability to use F7 for any serious
> work at all.
>
> This didn't seem to happen with VMware 5.x or Fedora Core 6 and
> previous, but I never tried running F7 on VMware 5, or FC6 and previous
> on VMware 6 (and have no real way of trying that now), so I don't have
> any immediate information on which is causing the problem.
>
> Any of you VMware users have any idea what's going on?

Well, I run VMware on Linux with F7 as a guest without problems.  Since you
are running VMware 6 that must mean you have purchased or upgraded recently.
 If that is the case, then you can file a support request with the VMware
folks and they will answer you.  This is the actual VMware folks and not the
forums....which is kind of like the mailing list here.

So, my suggestion to you is to file a support request at www.vmware.com and
take it from there.

--
"It's not just a computer -- it's your ass."
		-- Cal Keegan