googleearth shutdown X server

Claude Jones claude_jones at levitjames.com
Tue Jun 12 03:36:22 UTC 2007

On Monday June 11 2007 10:51:20 pm Gene Heskett wrote:
> Looks to me like its doing as you/I requested, Claude.  Direct Rendering
> says yes, and gives two very long lists of its abilities.

Well, guess what - I just tried my nvidia server settings gui again, and now
it's working - now, I haven't done diddly-squat to this machine - I just got
home!

> >I'm using the latest NVIDIA driver from freshrpms with the dkms package
> >installed - it works great for me and glxgears gives me good results and
> >google earth works flawlessly, but, when I press that option in the
> >configuration gui, my x server immediately shuts down and returns me to a
> >login screen -- very strange.
>
> If that dkms package is a week old, its probably based on the beta version
> of this release which was numbered 100.14.06, and that ones favorite trick
> was crashing x.  This one seems bulletproof.  Its (100.14.09) downloadable
> from the nvidia site, no questions asked.
>
> I understand there were some gimp problems with the .06 version,
> googleearth, celestia, and stellarium would all reset X, which I guess is
> another clue that it's the .06 issue.

I'm not sure how to tell which driver ver I'm using - there's nothing that
corresponds to those numbers in any of the windows of that configuration
utility

--
Claude Jones
Levit & James, Inc.