Installing F7 on System with Hardware Raid

Alan Cox alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk
Thu Jun 14 15:52:50 UTC 2007

> for motherboard RAID support. If your machine is ever configured
> that way, dmraid is too dumb to realize when you have stopped
> using motherboard RAID support and have switched to software
> RAID. For example, if you had two drives as a Promise RAID
> mirror and then switched them to simple IDE mode instead, the
> anaconda installer will always misread them after they are
> configured as software RAID unless you have disabled dmraid

Sounds like that is worth filing as an RFE in bugzilla. dmraid in theory
knows enough about the raid formats to work out how to blank them

(We can't just ignore them often or the BIOS does hideous things like 'Oh
look a raid mirror thats out of sync, let me just kick off the
destruction of your filesystem automatically')

Alan