F7, No power down after shutdown

Aaron Konstam akonstam at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jun 16 13:58:15 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-06-15 at 21:32 +0200, yi at mathematik.uni-marburg.de wrote:
> hi, When I do a system shutdown,the computer power does not switch itself
> off, only show "Halted". I guess there must be some option of shutdown
> command ("H" or "P"), and defined in /etc/init.d/halt script file, but
> have no idea how to modify it. Any suggestion?

This problem has been around since FC6 for me and others. The things to
try:
1. check ACPI is on in the BIOS
2. After boot grep to list all ACPI related messages that might indicate
the problem. acpid script should be running.
3. Usually the answer is to add options to the grub kernel lines. lacpi
worked for me in FC6. acpi=forced and acpi=on have worked for other
people.
4. Running poweroff is a red herring. That is the program shutdown runs
and it seems not to be working for your. It is annoying problem that
someone should find a global solution for it. Is your hardware fairly
old. That seems to be the systems that have this problem more often.

Ultimately a biaxial should be posted.
Aaron Konstam tel: (210) 656-0355 akonstam at sbcglobal.net