Samsung ML-2510 printer purchase

Amadeus W.M. amadeus84 at verizon.net
Sun Jun 17 18:02:06 UTC 2007

On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 09:28:43 +0100, Thufir wrote:

> On 6/17/07, Amadeus W.M. <amadeus84 at verizon.net> wrote: [...]
>> > Do I have to use a printer cable, or can it connect with USB cable
>> > under linux?
> [...]
>> I have a ML-2550 and it does indeed work perfectly. I configured it
>> with absolutely no problem since FC1. I share it over the network and
>> the other linux machines simply pick it up without any need for
>> configuration.
> [...]
>
> How do you network it?  I didn't see an ethernet port on the display
> model at future shop.  In my case, I'd like to direct connect the
> printer to the PC with USB cable, which is cheaper and longer.  Right
> now I'm running FC6, but am usually up to date, or perhaps one version
> behind.
>

> thanks,
>
> Thufir

Oh, I'm not sure whether ML-2510 has a network version, but ML-2550 has a
ML-2550N (network). Now, I do not have the network version. However, the
printer is connected locally (via the parallel port) to one of my
machines (and configured as local printer) and cups does the rest. That
machine is a print server, and advertises the printer to the lan, etc.
The other machines on the lan see it. Thank you cups, for all the magic
behind the scenes. All I had to do was to connect the printer locally on
one machine, and say it's shared to the network. I don't understand how
so many people have trouble with printing, I guess I've been lucky (or
wise, as I like to believe).

As for the price, I think 99CAD would be a good price for any printer.
Check with pricewatch, or newegg.