How to change user / group numbers in passwd/group?

Eric spamsink at scoot.netis.com
Sun Jun 17 23:39:20 UTC 2007

At 06:30 PM 6/17/2007, David Timms wrote:

<DT>>>>>They seem to be system account names, which in the past have ended
up below 500, and I don't have those account names on my F7.  What web
server and mail packages did you install?<<<<<

Good evening, David.

I basically installed them all, except for a couple of IMAP options in mail
servers that created conflicts, and anyway I assume I don't need them if
I'm running dovecot.

I just used "Add/Remove Software" to remove dbmail, and the dbmail user in
passwd went away.  Then I used it to remove tclhttpd, but the tclhttpd user
stayed there.  I guess I"ll do a "ls -lR | grep tclhttpd" and see if there
are any files remaining that are owned by tclhttpd, and if not, I guess I
can "userdel" tclhttpd.

If removing dbmail also removed the dbmail user, it's an interesting
question why removing tclhttpd didn't also remove the tclhttpd user.

<DT>>>>>I found a script a while ago to achieve the changing of userid and
grpid on files/directories.<<<<<

Can I assume then that usermod won't do that?