NFS: permission denied. Help?

Gilboa Davara gilboad at gmail.com
Mon Jun 18 05:27:17 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-06-18 at 03:06 +0000, Amadeus W.M. wrote:

> > OK. Tried mount the NFS from the workstation itself and it failed. NFS
> > seems to be broken :(
> >

> The obvious conclusion, isn't it? Reboot...

That'll be next.
(Though going to init level 1 and back didn't solve the problem...)

> Seriously now, nfs (+autofs) is working beautifully here. Try some things:
>
> 1) Turn off firewalls on both machines, so that nothing gets in the way:
>
> /etc/rc.d/init.d/iptables stop

I've got my own iptables script generator, but I tried it.
Nada.

> 2) Check that nfs is actually running on the server machine:
>
> /etc/rc.d/init.d/nfs status

Running.

> 3) On the client, run
>
> rpcinfo -p server
>
> You should see nfs running on 2049 (tcp and udp), portmapper on 111 (tcp
> and udp), status, nlockmgr, rquotad, and mountd on various ports.

$ rpcinfo -p localhost
   program vers proto   port
    100000    2   tcp    111  portmapper
    100000    2   udp    111  portmapper
    100024    1   udp   2053  status
    100024    1   tcp   2053  status
    100011    1   udp   2051  rquotad
    100011    2   udp   2051  rquotad
    100011    1   tcp   2051  rquotad
    100011    2   tcp   2051  rquotad
    100003    2   udp   2049  nfs
    100003    3   udp   2049  nfs
    100003    4   udp   2049  nfs
    100003    2   tcp   2049  nfs
    100003    3   tcp   2049  nfs
    100003    4   tcp   2049  nfs
    100005    1   udp   2050  mountd
    100005    1   tcp   2050  mountd
    100005    2   udp   2050  mountd
    100005    2   tcp   2050  mountd
    100005    3   udp   2050  mountd
    100005    3   tcp   2050  mountd

(I'm using my own port configuration to ease firewall configuration)

> 4) Also on the client,
>
> showmount -e server
> You should see the partitions exported by the server.

Both exportfs and showmount show a valid exports list.

> 5) Look at /etc/exports on the nfs server. The exported partitions should
> have read permissions.

All shares have rw permissions.

> Then let us know.

As I said, the machine worked just fine until the last update.

- Gilboa