tons of spam

David G. Miller dave at davenjudy.org
Mon Jun 18 21:34:48 UTC 2007

"Mikkel L. Ellertson" <mikkel at infinity-ltd.com> wrote:

> Ed Greshko wrote:

>> > Never said I was or claimed to be.  Some folks enjoy to attach labels.
>> >
>> > Should I stay silent when an injustice is done?
>> >

> Nope. Why should the fact that the op was new to the list excuse his
> behavior? A mailing list is like a community. If unacceptable
> behavior isn't pointed out, how can we expect the community to
> function smoothly. When you join the list, you are given pointers on
> where to find what is expected of you if you want to be a part of
> this community.
>
> With the way the op introduced him/herself to the community, why
> should he/she/it expect a polite response?
>
> Mikkel
How about, if one of our goals is to get more people to use Linux
instead of Windoze, jumping all over somebody because they don't
understand probably isn't the way to win friends and (positively)
influence people?

Yes, the OP was off base in his post.  It's sufficient to point out how
someone is wrong without stooping to being nasty.  Maybe when someone
persists in being ignorant it may be appropriate to turn up the flame
level but even then it's still probably not going to change them.  We
now have at least one person who will probably be telling anyone who
cares to listen how the Fedora community flames people rather than helps
them.  Just what Linux and fedora needs.

Cheers,
Dave

-- Ambrose Bierce