FC7 Samba

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Mon Jun 18 21:43:20 UTC 2007

antonio montagnani wrote:
> 2007/6/18, David Timms <dtimms at iinet.net.au>:
>> antonio montagnani wrote:
>> > I have made a fresh installation of FC7.
>> > I want to share a directory (see end of configuration file) called
>> > antonio/staff that should be seen as [public].When I connect to shared
>> > computers I see this computer the icon of public share, but if I click
>> > on public icon I get the message that it is impossible to find it
>> > (maybe recently erased).What am I missing??? I apologize for posting
>> > my configuration file...
>> >
>> > # This is the main Samba configuration file. You should read the
>> > # smb.conf(5) manual page in order to understand the options listed
>> >
>> > # A publicly accessible directory, but read only, except for people in
>> > # the "staff" group
>> >     [public]
>> > comment = Public Stuff
>> > path = /home/antonio/staff
>> > public = yes
>> > writable = yes
>> > printable = no
>> > ;    write list = +staff
>>
>> I think you need to set the appropriate selinux context for the folder
>> you want shared. Check the context first:
>> ls -lZd /home/antonio/staff
>>
>> Then start a tail of the /var/log/messages, and see if any messages are
>> added at attempt to connect.
>>
>> su -c 'tail -f /var/log/messages'
>>
>> DaveT.
>>
>> --
>>
> SELinux is disabled on both machines....and I didn't have any issues
> with FC6.

Is nmd running along with smb? Not having nmd running after an upgrade
for me caused a problem where I could access the share if I used the ip
address but not the server name.

Someone mentioned the services being individual now and starting and
having nmd started at boot solved my access problem.

Just an idea since the suggestion was right on to fix my problem.

Jim