F7 Sound recording and kmix not working...

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Mon Jun 18 23:13:31 UTC 2007

David Timms wrote:

> I guess you probably got sorted with your audio difficulties, however, I
> am keen to find out whether your experience is related to a certain kind
> of audio hardware.

Thanks for your response.
No, I haven't managed to get Skype working under Fedora-7.
Sadly, it works "out of the box" under Windows XP on the same computer
(I have both systems on the machine, with dual booting.)

> What is yours ? Can you post the result of:
> /sbin/lspci|grep audio
>
> Then using the pci numeric ID {first digits eg: "00:06.0"} give output of:
> /sbin/lspci -n|grep 00:06.0
>
> Then the pci info for that pci-id {eg: 10de:006a}:
> /sbin/lspcu -vd 10de:006a

I take it the last command should be lspci ...
Here are my results:

[tim at elizabeth ~]$ lspci
00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801CA/CAM AC'97
Audio Controller (rev 01)
[tim at elizabeth ~]$ lspci -n
00:1f.5 0401: 8086:2485 (rev 01)
[tim at elizabeth ~]$ lspci -vd 8086:2485
00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801CA/CAM AC'97
Audio Controller (rev 01)
        Subsystem: IBM ThinkPad T23 (2647-4MG) or A30/A30p (2652/2653)
        I/O ports at 1c00 [size=256]
        I/O ports at 18c0 [size=64]

> With reference to your musings on "ease of use", it is perhaps because
> the Graphical User Interface tool developers have tried to over-simplify
> the UI that it has become difficult to make the UI control the hardware
> as expected.

I certainly don't think anything with 19 controls
can be called "over-simplified"!

> My understanding of these tools is that they enumerate the capabilities
> of the audio hardware, and show controls for the "bits" they find. It is
> unclear whether the mixer application is missing reading bits it should
> have {ie mixer bug}, or whether the sound driver {alsa} is not providing
> the correct information for the mixer application {possible driver bug
> for the audio hardware you use}.

I'm sure you are right about the "bits".

Still, the needs of a simple-minded person like myself
are pretty clear.
There is a sound output, which in my case is a pair of headphones,
and sound input, which for me is an external microphone
(I bought one specially in Tesco for 15 euro,
with "Skype" in large letters on the box.)

All I really want is 2 slides, for volume of output and input.

I don't understand this ALSA passion for muting things.
If I don't want sound I will turn it off;
I don't expect it to be muted when I turn it on.
To me this is like a lamp that doesn't light when you turn it on,
or a car that doesn't go when you turn the ignition key.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366