Alsa Mixer

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Tue Jun 19 05:07:03 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-06-18 at 18:48 -0600, Karl Larsen wrote:
>     I had this working fine in Fedora Core 6 two days ago. The Gnome
> Volume Control had a Playback Tab and a Record Tab. Things having to do
> with recording like the Mike is shown there. Today there is only a
> Playback Tab and looking stupid as heck there is a Microphone shown on
> the playback tab which has only a speaker showing! This is dead wrong
> and someone was asleep when they did this!

I can understand some re-arrangement of the panel. e.g. CD is only on
capture, no playback, and I general listen and play CDs, not record
them.  But, yes, the microphone solely with a playback fader isn't
right.  I see this, now, but the package was updated 1 May 2007.

Another thing is that it's sometimes useful to have separate record and
playback level controls for the same device, but we don't have that
option.

> So please someone tell me what I did wrong, or tell me how to rpm -e
> the so-called Update.

This is the gnome-volume-control GUI, I presume you mean the Gnome one,
as well.

  rpm -q --whatprovides /usr/bin/gnome-volume-control
  gnome-media-2.16.1-4.fc6

I notice that switching the device it's controlling from Alsa to OSS
changes where the microphone slider is displayed.  You can use something
else to control the sound, such as alsamixer (text interface).

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.