yum, rpm, pirut, pup won't run on FC6

Eric spamsink at scoot.netis.com
Tue Jun 19 13:01:21 UTC 2007

At 01:34 AM 6/19/2007, Tony Nelson wrote:

 >> Maybe do `lsof | grep __db` first?

Good morning, Tony.

I did that.  There are four such files:  __db.000 through __db.003.  Of
those, only __db.000 is closed; the others are open.  But, I can't find
anything in "ps aux" that looks like it might use rpm, not that I am
exactly up to speed on everything that might user rpm.  I know that yum,
yum_updatesd, and probably pup and pirut, all use rpm, but don't know if
anything else does.

By the way, yum_updatesd is not running.  I have it shut down because the
machine is located remotely (on the other side of the next city over from
here), I won't necessarily see notifications that updates are available,
and anyway I don't want to just blindly update everything; I'd rather
update only those things that need updating, mostly security-related stuff.

Should I try to run rpm -rebuilddb in the state the machine is in now, or
should I perhaps reboot first, and then delete those __db.00x files?  I'll
need to drive over to the co-location facility to do that, but I guess I
can do that if need be.

 >> When RPM seems to stop working, the locks are the most likely issue

Just to clarify, then, are the __db.00x files the lock files?  I thought of
lock files but looked through /var/lock (where I would have expected such
files to be) and didn't see anything that was likely to be relevant.