tons of spam - refocussed on evolution.

jdow jdow at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 19 22:03:56 UTC 2007

From: "Aaron Konstam" <akonstam at sbcglobal.net>

> But all this misses the essential point I was trying to make but
> obviously not well enough:
> 1. Evolution is removing spam and places the result into junk but not
> very effectively.
> 2. The Bayes databases keep getting updated .
> 3. Messages don't get the headers I would expect from spamassassin.
> 4. My user_prefs file says Spam should have its header altered by
> inserting the word SPAM in the subject line. That does not happen.
>
> Something is wrong with the way evolution (or at least my evolution) is
> using spam. Does anyone know what is wrong?

SpamAssassin rules:
# How many hits before a mail is considered spam.
required_hits           5.0
rewrite_header Subject     *****SPAM***** _SCORE(00)_ **

The first line tells SA to declare loudly that the message is spam.
The second tells SA the way to declare loudly that a message is spam.
It gives a distinctive header with a 3 (!) digit score in the header.
Since all spams come in marked that way I sort them to the spam folder
as I drag them off the MTA via DoveCot. Then I can sort by subject in
the spam folder and get a sort by score. That makes looking through
spam for something mismarked a breeze.

(It is also fun to watch your maximum scores and admire how inept the
average spammer can be.)

{^_-}