splitting off directories

Michael Klinosky mpk2 at enter.net
Wed Jun 20 13:10:14 UTC 2007

Steve:
> I put /home, /var, /tmp and /boot all on their own partitions, so that
> if any of the fill up it limits the problems that are likely to be
> caused.

Well, I know that /boot can't reside in an LVM (so it has to be split off).

> I also have some custom partitions for storing digital camera pics and
> distro images on.  Keeping these separate makes it much easier when
> installing a new version - I don't reformat these partitions.

Wouldn't it be possible to have them in /home? /home doesn't get
reformatted if on its own partition - correct? (It's an option, I believe.)

> And I also just ignore my browser cache in my regular backup job - no
> need for it to be on a different partition.

Sounds like you use a program for that task. I'm not experienced enough
yet to find one I'd like. What do you use?

I just use cd/dvd creator.