ARP question

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Thu Jun 21 10:23:10 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-06-21 at 04:17 -0500, Rick Sewill wrote:
> In the case of the cable companies, I believe they treat the cable like
> it is a broadcast interface.  I believe they ARP for that IP address to
> get the MAC address for that machine.  I get these ARP requests because
> they are broadcast to me and to everyone with whom I share the cable.

Yes, but it tends to be a group of people on one cable (perhaps everyone
on one street, or a few streets), not every customer for the ISP is in
that group.  *Part* of the path between you and the ISP is shared, you
don't all have an individual, isolated, connections.

--
(This box runs Centos 5.0, my others still run FC 4, 5, 6, & 7, in case that's
 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.