DVD Only Install...

Mike McCarty Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jun 21 14:05:28 UTC 2007

Mark Haney wrote:
> Aaron Konstam wrote:

I bought a new machine, and the first thing I did was add a 3 1/2"
floppy drive. Another computer I have has a 5 1/4" and 3 1/2" both.
Still another has only a 5 1/4". I'm glad the 8" drives are dead,
though. Too big.

>>>Really, that surprises me. I'd like to see them disappear altogether to
>>>be left in the halls of computing history. :)
>>
>>Well I guess we have different philosophies. If I want to save 1 or a
>>few small files and take them to another machine (where there is no
>>Internet connection to the first) or just place them in a filing cabinet
>>for backup I don't see the advantage have to use expensive memory stick
>>or to burn a CD, etc.

I often use sneakernet. A CD takes a LOOOOOONNNNNGGGGGG time to
burn, and is expensive. A RW avoids somewhat the expense, but
takes even LLLLLLLOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNGGGGGGGEEEEEERRRR.

>>I use the floppy drive extensively for this purpose and there is no
>>other way to do it so easily.

Yeppers.

> Fedora does have a method of formatting a CD-RW and DVD-RWs, K3b will do
> it for you if necessary and cdrecord and dvdrecord have CLI options to
> do so.  I've used them for a couple years now.

But cdrecord is even worse than ls for cryptic difficult to use
interface.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.