Is PIII an i686?

Alan Cox alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk
Thu Jun 21 15:43:21 UTC 2007

On Thu, 21 Jun 2007 16:30:23 +0100 (BST)
Felix Mathais <fsm_austria at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> As far as I know a P3 should be a 686. I am running a P3 1000,hz on a 686 kernel
>

> Knute Johnson <knute at frazmtn.com> wrote: I've got a Pentium 3 600mhz computer.  Is the P3 chip an i686?  It
> won't run the F7 i686 Live CD.  It won't run the i386 boot.iso
> either.

686 is used by Fedora to mean 'what intel call 686 instruction set plus
cmov'. That covers all intel processor lines from the Pentium Pro
onwards, AMD Athlon onwards (and Geode NX), Later VIA processors, etc

It doesn't cover Cyrix 6x86 and friends, Natsemi Geode series,
afaik AMD Geode GX (eg the OLPC), AMD K6 series devices, Pentium series,
VIA Cyrix III, and early VIA C3 and one or two other obscure processor
lines (Nexgen etc)

Alan