Livna nVidia problems...

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sat Jun 23 09:50:14 UTC 2007

On Saturday 23 June 2007, Tim wrote:
>On Fri, 2007-06-22 at 18:12 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> I guess this is what makes me feel lucky. I do not use the livna nvidia
>> drivers, primarily because they don't keep up with the kernel version if
>> you build your own, which I do.
>>
>> So I check the nvidia site everytime I happen to think about it and
>> download their latest *.run installer.  So I can build a new kernel,
>> reboot to my normal runlevel 3 login, then "sh ./N[tab][enter]" (if one of
>> them is all there is in /root) answer a few ncurses yes/no's, and its
>> installed.  Yeah, its a pita & takes about 2 minutes.  But guess what
>> folks, it Just Works(TM)
>
>But have NVidia stopped doing that thing where they mucked up other
>aspects of Xorg to suit themselves?  That stung me badly when I had to
>pull out a NVidia card to try another one, and Xorg was buggered.

I don't believe so.  During the install it would appear it puts its own OpenGL
stuffs in, and runs ldconfig to fix the links.  If that is what it takes to
make it work, shrug.  Since Intel isn't making aftermarket cards, and unless
a bolt of lightning comes down to educate ati my next card will also be an
nvidia, and nothing will be changed, I'll still have to re-install after
every new boot to a new kernel unless the nauveau(sp?) driver is ready to
run...  I would offer to test it, but the url seems to be on the missing
list.  Of course I'd need a new round tuit also :)

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)