Microsoft closes another deal, is redhat next?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sat Jun 23 17:21:24 UTC 2007

Mike McCarty wrote:
> Skunk Worx wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
>> Kudos to RedHat for sticking to their guns. Unix predates MS-anything
>> by decades so it's all kind of humorous.
>
> I'm not sure this is true, but even if it were, Linux is not UNIX.
> What we commonly call Linux is actually Linux (the kernel) which
> doesn't predate MS products, and GNU, which, as we all know, means
> GNU is Not UNIX. So, Unix dates have nothing to do with this discussion.

Of course they do.  Linux is designed to emululate unix and the
underlying technology described in the 1985 SVID interface documentation
can't be eligible for someone to patent later.  X was working in 1984
and pretty much the current protocol by 1987. In those timeframes,
Microsoft's biggest innovations were the 640K memory limit and 32Meg
disk limit, along with single tasking until competition from DRDOS 5
forced them to provide equivalent features.  Someone should accumulate a
list of features that Microsoft has added _only_ after a potential
competitor has shipped them just in case anyone could possibly think
permitting anti-competitive behavior should even be considered.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com