How to get rid of auto-logout : LAMBASTED. Thanks!

Beartooth Beartooth at swva.net
Sun Jun 24 15:33:56 UTC 2007

On Sat, 23 Jun 2007 22:26:54 +0000, I Beartooth wrote yesterday :
[...]
> Meanwhile, however, back at the ranch, the problem has not recurred this
> afternoon -- not since I gave up my nice pipe display on the
> screensaver. Otoh, neither have I yet seen the new one running. (It's
> behind a KVM switch, in case that matters, btw.)
>
> If/when it does recur, I'll change again. And report.
[...]

I mark this one "lambasted" rather than "solved," because that sizeable 2
x 4 we whomped up on it with -- changing the choice of screensaver -- has
made it straighten up and fly right, so far; but iiuc not even the
Friendly Alpha Plus Technoids among us yet know quite why.

Anyway, to the facts! It hasn't logged me out unasked since I gave up my
pipery yesterday afternoon. When I got to it this morning, it was
building fractal mountains like a good one.

In case it helps, the machine is an AMD Athlon XP 2600+, put together
when brand new by an electronic friend, and has always run the latest
release of Fedora with xscreensaver, for the last year or two against an
Acer AL1916 monitor behind a Vastech KVM switch.

I did two things differently when upgrading from FC6 to F7. I used the
new LiveCD, which forced me to do a fresh install; hadn't done one with
any of the last several releases. (The machine has no DVD drive, and I
haven't managed to find any setting in the BIOS that gets it to boot from
my external USB one.)

And I forgot one detail I've always had to abide by till F7 : when
installing or upgrading, always first get the machine out from behind the
KVM switch, connecting directly to keyboard, monitor, and mouse. (Maybe I
should shut everything down, rearrange cables, reboot, and run kudzu,
just on general principles??)

It was *very* nice, btw, being able to keep my other machines running as
usual, and not having to do all my quotidian stuff on a laptop. But I
suppose, before I upgrade my last and main machine -- and my wife's! --
I'd better revert to type and drag the laptop in here ...

Many thanks to all for the help! It's one great irritation gone, since I
use this machine mainly for watching a couple dozen weather tabs on
Opera. And I'll be interested to know what the real problem is (if that's
within my grasp of linux) -- and when/whether I can get my entertaining
pipery back .... Thanks again!