A bright idea...

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sun Jun 24 19:32:37 UTC 2007

Phil Meyer wrote:

>>    Why not buy a 4 GB Flash USB device for around $50.00 and load F7
>> on that and then plug it into the USB port of the computer to upgrade
>> and away you go. Cheaper than a DVD drive with a USB port :-)
>>

> Yup.  My normal mode of operations.  I carry around a 4GB USB thumb
> drive with two partitions:  1 = boot ; 2 = FAT32 with a custom (pungi
> rocks!) DVD image on it.

Is there a howto somewhere about the partitioning needed for this? Or is
it just a matter of making the first partition large enough for a raw
copy of the boot.img file, then reformatting what's left?  Can you
specify a kickstart file on the 2nd partition?  How do you know where it
will be mounted?

> So last week-end my son asks me to build him a media server.  I travel
> to his place because I want to see my grand babies.  No sweat.  I pop
> out my thumb drive -- hmmm... won't boot usb.  OK -- hmmm... can't burn
> a DVD for him, he doesn't have a DVD in that system.  OK, mount the DVD
> image on my laptop and burn the diskboot.iso to a CDR.  Plug in the USB
> to his system, boot the bootable CD and proceed to load from the USB
> stick via my custom kickstart scripts.
>
> Whew!
>
> The moral of the story?
>
> Not all systems will boot from USB, and not all systems have DVD
> players. :)  Keep a CDR in your laptop bag.

You could also export the dvd image via NFS from the laptop and install
over the network.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com