Adobe Acrobat

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Sun Jun 24 20:07:20 UTC 2007

Chris Jones wrote:
>> So, as I said, what do yo get it you attempt to start the app from the
>> command line. I.e. type
>>
>>  > acroread
>>
>> ?????
>>

> OK, so not really expecting you to actually do this yourself... I thought I
> would see for myself.
>
> So, I installed the acroread rpm from here
>
> ftp://ftp.uib.no/pub/Linux/uib/fedora/5/i386/AdobeReader_enu-7.0.9-1.i386.rpm
>
> and that went fine.
>
> However, when I ran
>
>  > acroread
>
> I got endless messages of the form "expr: syntax error"
>
> Had you done this yourself, then the web site with Frank Cox told you would
> have explained the solution to you. (Alternatively, googling for "acroread
> expr: syntax error" took me to a link that explained the error and gave a
> solution in the very first link....)
>
> Look at
>
> http://wiki.scribus.net/index.php/Fedora_Core_6_-_Troubleshooting
>
> making the change to line 418 fixed this problem, and acroread runs just fine
> now.
>
> Moral of this story - Don't just post "It doesn't work" messages. Try and
> debug what isn't working. Don't just run an app from the gui - start it from
> the command line as this gives you much more useful feedback.
>
> yours  Chris

    What was wrong with the Don't work message? I got yours saying don't
send those, and the next message was from Frank with the web page where
I got the info to mofify the code and I do know how to do that. But it's
odd you need to re-write code to get it to run on FC6.
    Anyhow I know have it running. So the don't work message worked.

Karl