smolt stale profiles

Mike McGrath mmcgrath at redhat.com
Mon Jun 25 20:08:10 UTC 2007

Mike C wrote:
> Mike McGrath <mmcgrath <at> redhat.com> writes:
>

>> http://smolt.fedoraproject.org/delete?UUID=YOURUUID   Unfortunately we
>> can't use the hardware UUID of your system for privacy issues, so
>> whenever a fresh install happens, the old profile will remain.
>>

> Thanks Mike - that is what I was afraid you might say - if the majority of people
> do not bother to remove old profiles after installing new versions of Fedora then
> over a period more and more old, but no longer relevant, profiles will build up
> and therefore the statistics will contain a smaller and smaller fraction of
> live machines in its database.  It is therefore important to remove such old
> profiles in order to keep the statistics synced to real machines?

We also track when the last checkin was.  Those enabling smolt's checkin
(which happens automatically when you install via anaconda and send your
profile) will keep a fresh profile.  This will allow us to say "only
select profiles that checked in in the last 8 months) which would ignore
older stale profiles.  Its the best we can do without causing privacy
issues.

    -Mike