F7 Cups idling at booting

antonio montagnani antonio.montagnani at gmail.com
Wed Jun 27 09:49:15 UTC 2007

2007/6/27, Tim <ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au>:
> On Wed, 2007-06-27 at 09:18 +0200, antonio montagnani wrote:
> > Computer has the name MAXDATA but if I issue
> > $ host maxdata
> >
> > I get
> >
> > Host maxdata not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)

> > while if I issue  host localhost
> > I get immediately
> > localhost has address 127.0.0.1
>
> I would have expected starting X to be a problem, too, if you were
> having hostname resolution issues.  Things that do reverse lookups, as
> well, might take even more time than things that don't.
>
> Do you have a local DNS server that resolves names?  If so, maxdata
> should be an entry in the local zone records.
>
> If you're not using one, you can put an entry for maxdata in
> the /etc/hosts file.  If the PC is on a LAN where other computers are
> networked, then apply it to the LAN address.
>
> e.g. Add a line like the following to the /etc/hosts file, changing the
> IP address to whatever it is:
>
> 192.168.1.1 maxdata
>
> Alternatively, if the machine is only ever used in a stand-alone
> fashion, you could tag the hostname onto the *end* of the localhost line
> in the /etc/hosts file.
>
> e.g. 127.0.0.1  localhost.localdomain  localhost  maxdata
>
> --
> [tim at bigblack ~]$ rm -rfd /*^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^Huname -ipr
> 2.6.21-1.3228.fc7 i686 i386
>
> Using FC 4, 5, 6 & 7, plus CentOS 5.  Today, it's FC7.

> --

I modified my host file adding a line:

127.0.0.1    maxdata    localhost.localdomain   localhost
::1     localhost.localdomain   localhost

Now the question is: why on system upgrading from FC6 to F7 line was
not added, while on fresh installations everything was fine???

And now Cups is not idling any longer...tnx Tim
--
Antonio Montagnani
Skype : antoniomontag