Microsoft closes another deal, is redhat next?

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Wed Jun 27 15:37:47 UTC 2007

Mike McCarty wrote:
> Robin Laing wrote:
>> Scott van Looy wrote:
>>> This is nothing to do with firefox or mozilla or KDE or gnome or
>>> fedora, it's simply a crap web designer/programmer who needs
>>> shooting. Complain to the website if you can't access it, there's no
>>> reason at all for you not being able to
>>>

>> This falls on deaf ears many times.
>>
>> Our corporate WWW site has just moved to some Microsoft portal
>> software and in Linux or Firefox, keep getting popups about not being
>> IE.  I contacted the admin and their response was everyone was using
>> IE.  At least they thought this.  I spent almost 30 minutes on the
>> phone with this person and found out that they were living in a bubble
>> of what they were taught.  I even pointed out that if they updated
>> their software, it would support Firefox.
>
> I recall working at a company where nearly everyone used Sun
> workstations. But the corporate office used PCs with MicroSoft
> products. Someone there decided that there were some special
> memos that everyone should read, and started sending out e-mails
> with Word for Windows Documents as attachments. Some of them
> were megs in size. Of course, to my mail reader (I used Pine)
> it was just a lot of binary goop MIME base-64 encoded.
>
> I wrote her a polite e-mail letting her know that I couldn't read
> what she sent, and asked her please not to send me more like that.
>
> I got back a very patient e-mail explaining that all I had to do
> was click on the attachment and it would pop up.
>
> I wrote back that I had no way to do that, and politely requested
> that she not send me more memos.
>
> I got another polite message explaining how to set up Outlook.
>
> I wrote back that I didn't have Outlook, or any other mail reader
> running with Windows, because I used a Sun with SunOS.
>
> She wrote back that I just needed to install it, and explained
> how to do that in Windows NT.
>
> I gave up.
>
> She sent me another memo, and I simply sent it back, quoted as
> she sent it, with a little explanation that this was what she
> sent me, and now she could see how it looked to me, and politely
> requesting that she stop sending me these huge balls of goop.
>
> I got back a bewildered question as to why I sent her such
> a large amount of goop, along with a request not to send her such stuff.
> I tried to explain over three or so e-mail exchanges, that SHE SENT IT
> TO ME.

Hum, I like that.

The move to exchange server has been a headache for most.  I myself only
check my mail when I feel like it or I know something is there for me to
read.  I know windows users that do the same thing because they hate
Outlook's interface.

I wish I could access my mail with Pine and do the same thing.  :)

Some here have actually gotten second computers just for email.  Even
some Windows users.

--
Due to the move to M$ Exchange Server,
    anything that is a priority, please phone.