Experience with WPA Supplicant to Connect to WIRELESS-PITTNET

Rick Bilonick rab at nauticom.net
Thu Jun 28 03:57:56 UTC 2007

I'm running NetworkManager and wpa_supplicant under Fedora 6. I've used
NetworkManager to login to wired and non-WPA wireless connections. I'm
trying to use it to login to Wireless-PittNet at the University of
Pittsburgh that uses WPA. When the WPA panel comes up, it has
WIRELESS-PITTNET as the SSID. I choose WPA for authentication and TKIP
for data encryption, and PEAP for EAP type (this comes from the IT
departments web page info). I then type in my PITT userid and password.
But I cannot get it to connect (if I have the ethernet cable connected,
it will connect to the wired network instead of WIRELESS-PITTNET).

If I type:

> iwlist wlan0 scan

it shows six cells and NetworkManager shows a reasonably strong signal.

I typically don't use NetworkManager to connect to my wireless network
at home or to connect to the wired network in my office. I just use the
regular Fedora network application for this. I'm just wondering if this
confuses things when I try to use NetworkManager and wpa_supplicant.

Any ideas on what the problem may be or some things to try would be
greatly appreciated.

Rick B.