Logrotate no longer works..."Too Many Open Files"

Matthew Saltzman mjs at CLEMSON.EDU
Fri Jun 29 01:27:36 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-06-28 at 19:50 -0400, Mike Burger wrote:
> The "current" logs were now being written to as named.log.1, messages.1,
> maillog.1.
>
> But the files weren't recreated, and the postrotate scripts not run.
>
> I looked in my /var/named/chroot/var/log/named dir, and found tons and
> tons of logs with oddball numberings.  I cleared them and will see how
> that goes.

It will start over again and work for a while, but eventually you'll see
the situation repeat.  What's in the file /etc/logrotate.d/named (or any
other logrotate file related to named)?  Is there
a /var/named/chroot/etc/logrotate.d/named?  (Not that the latter seems
reasonable, just trying to touch all the bases.  I don't run named
except for caching nameservers.)

--
                Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences