A vlc question

Nigel Henry cave.dnb at tiscali.fr
Sat Jun 30 21:03:51 UTC 2007

On Saturday 30 June 2007 22:48, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-06-30 at 15:39 +0200, Nigel Henry wrote:
> > On Saturday 30 June 2007 15:07, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> > > I was trying to use vlc to play some video DVDs. It worked on two of
> > > them but failed on two. All of them were commercial DVDs. I remember
> > > someone previously  stated a rule for which DVDs vlc will not play.
> > > Could someone restate the rule?
> > >
> > > I could not find any other application to play them either. Is there
> > > such an application?
> >
> > Have you installed libdvdcss2, which is needed for decrypting some dvd's.
> >
> > Mplayer includes it in the package, but vlc, xine, and ogle, etc, all
> > need it.
> >
> > Freshrpms, or Livna to get it.
> >
> > Nigel.
>
> I can't find libdvdcss2 on livna. Is it possible it is only on
> freshrpms?

Possibly, but libdvdcss2 is the debian version. An error on my part. Try just
libdvdcss.

I've just put vlc on an instance of FC5, and freshrpms is showing libdvdcss ,
which I installed, and I've got vlc playing DVD's ok on that.

Livna probably has it too, but I havn't got anything booted up thats using the
Livna repo at the moment.

Sorry for the error.

Nigel.