When to update?

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Thu Mar 1 00:43:02 UTC 2007

On Wed, Feb 28, 2007 at 05:30:56PM -0500, Mike - EMAIL IGNORED wrote:
> Interesting. I took a quick look at the site.  I am amused
> by their repeated reference to "the prominent North American
> Enterprise Linux vendor".  Who might that be and why not say it?
> I suppose I should ask them.

They don't say it because they're extra-careful about not referencing Red
Hat trademarks.

> I am happy to know there is an alternative in case of unforeseen
> changes in policy by the "the prominent ...", but at this point I
> see no reason to switch.

> What is downside of staying with FC and only occasionally updating?

You won't get any bugfixes. Any problems you have won't really be
considered.

If you are connected to the internet in any way, your machine will get
hacked and you will become part of a botnet serving spam or worse. This is
pretty much an inevitability.

What you want to do is outside the design goals of Fedora. If you don't want
to update frequently, but want to stay in the Fedora "family", CentOS is
exactly for you.