When to update?

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Thu Mar 1 01:00:26 UTC 2007

On Wed, Feb 28, 2007 at 06:51:23PM -0600, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> > If you are connected to the internet in any way, your machine will get
> > hacked and you will become part of a botnet serving spam or worse. This is
> > pretty much an inevitability.
> It isn't that bad. If you block inbound connections by default and do your
> own updates of services that are accessible from the network, and don't
> have any untrusted local users, you are fairly safe. If you are only going
> to have a couple network services available, it might be enough less work
> to be worthwhile.

You also have to not ever use network client software. For example, the
mozilla package in FC4, and everything linked against it, is high risk.

It may not happen immediately, and I'm sure we'll get a half-dozen anecdotes
of the "hasn't happen to me" variety, but overall, it's a near-certainty.

If you wanted Fedora to be something else, you should have worked on Fedora
Legacy. As it is, that's dead. So, if you want to not update frequently, use
a distribution that's designed with a long lifespan.