VLC on Fedora Core 5

Peter Horst phorst at speakeasy.net
Thu Mar 1 09:15:23 UTC 2007

Has anyone managed to get VLC up and running on FC 5?  I am having a
devil of a time.  I'm using videolan's own packages, but running 'yum
install vlc' produces:

Error: Missing Dependency: libgnutls.so.11(GNUTLS_REL_1_0_9) is needed
by package vlc
Error: Missing Dependency: libgnutls.so.11 is needed by package vlc
Error: Missing Dependency: libdbus-1.so.1 is needed by package vlc

These are old versions of libraries that are already on my system - is
it wise to install old software?  And if it's not a bad thing to do, how
does one do it using yum or rpm?  Alternatively, has anyone tried
building this software from source?

Any help greatly appreciated.