fglrx question

Jonathan Berry berryja at gmail.com
Thu Mar 1 19:33:15 UTC 2007

On 3/1/07, Claude Jones <claude_jones at levitjames.com> wrote:
> On Thu March 1 2007 10:31:13 am Jonathan Berry wrote:
> > > Currently, at home, I'm experiencing a big system barf. If I
> > > try to run GLXgears, the screen blacks out and after a few
> > > moments, it returns me to a log-in screen. Can't give any
> > > time to this this am because I have to go to an
> >
> > That means X is crashing. Probably a driver issue. Are you
> > using the nVidia installer, or a packaged driver? If the
> > former, have you done any X updates lately?
> >

> Well, yes, X is crashing - I do know that, but, I haven't been
> able to figure out why. I did spend some considerable time on
> the NV forum the night before last, trying to sort it out, but,
> I'm at the point of having to turn on some logging and let folks
> look at results, and I haven't had time to get to that yet.

Okay.  Well, what has changed from when it was working?

> > > appointment. The figures I cited were from my work machine
> > > which is a 2.66 GHz P4, if I'm not mistaken - I'll
> > > double-check that when I get in. This machine is a dual-core
> > > 2.66 MHz w/ 2 GB ram.
> >
> > That explains the difference in FPS values :-).
>
> How so? My slower machine is getting 3X faster fps values than my
> dual-core with twice the ram...

Obviously I am confused... What machine produced what FPS values?

> To Gene: This machine (I'm at work, now), is a 2.8 GHz P4 with 1
> GB of ram. GLXgears just produced this:
>
> glxgears
> 21379 frames in 5.0 seconds = 4275.750 FPS
> 30310 frames in 5.0 seconds = 6061.993 FPS
> 30308 frames in 5.0 seconds = 6061.511 FPS
> 30308 frames in 5.0 seconds = 6061.598 FPS
> 30152 frames in 5.0 seconds = 6030.331 FPS
>
> Pretty good. This is with an NVidia GForce 5500, 256 mb ram, AGP
> 8X card

That is pretty good.  Especially for a 5500.  But I don't see any
numbers that are a third of this.  Where are the numbers from your
dual-core system?  I see some comparable to these and one set that is
in the mid-400 FPS.

Jonathan